Achieve a Salon Style Look in the Comfort of Your Own Home
Washing the hair is the first and foremost step in attaining healthy, shiny and lustrous tresses in children, men and women. Many individuals even go the extra length of having their washed in salons just to achieve professional results. This should not be for obvious reasons including the time, effort and money involved in professional hair treatments, not to mention that daily hair care is better than periodic salon visits.
With that being said, here are the step-by-step instructions for properly washing your hair at home. Your main goal is to achieve professional results, so you should not stop at washing alone. For this reason, tips on blow-drying and styling will also be provided.
• Wet your hair from root to tip with lukewarm water.
• Place the appropriate amount of shampoo depending on your hair length in the palm of your hand and then spread on your palms using a circular motion. A tablespoon of shampoo is appropriate for long hair, lesser amount for short hair.
• Apply the shampoo starting from the roots to the tips so that good coverage is achieved.
• Massage your scalp using the padded tips of your fingers to remove the dead skin cells, dust and dirt for a few minutes. Never use your fingernails on your scalp as these can strip off the natural oil as well as cause tiny wounds. Just imagine vigorously scratching your skin with long fingernails and you get the idea.
• Rinse your hair with cold water well until the lathery, sticky and foamy sensation left by the shampoo is gone.
• Apply the conditioner. Be sure to apply it only on the ends of your tresses, not on the roots. This is because the ends are more prone to damage than the roots and, thus, require more treatment. Leave on the conditioner for 1-3 minutes depending on the length of your hair.
• Rinse your hair thoroughly.
• Gently squeeze out any excess moisture from your hair.
• Blot your wet hair with an extra absorbent towel but never rub your tresses with it. Otherwise, your hair can become damaged from the friction.
• Let your hair air-dry until it is nearly dry. Do not use a blow dryer on wet or damp hair as it can cause damage. Also, do not comb your hair while it is still wet.
Why the lukewarm and cold water?
Lukewarm water helps in removing dirt, dust and other debris from the hair while cold water closes the cuticles, thus, making your hair shinier.
Once your hair is nearly dry, you can remove tangles with a wide-toothed comb, not any other comb or brush. Start combing your hair from the bottom of the strands and then working upwards. Apply gentle, even strokes to prevent breakage and hair fall.
When your hair is already combed, you can apply hair care products like gel, mousse and spray. You can also blow dry your hair at this point since it is almost dry, not dripping wet.
We suggest using shampoos and conditioners sparingly. It is best to err on the side of caution especially since these hair care products can actually lead to dry, stringy tresses when abused.